Body fat is the one common outcast prevailing in every society. Everyone wants to get rid of it, but how often do we succeed? Sorry to bust your bubble, but the tragic comic scene in survival is simply not possible without fats. But we can be glad about the fact that not all fats are the same. In fact some fats might just be the little secret to a healthy living. One such friendly body fat is called Medium Chain Triglycerides. This unique fat is designed in a way that mankind can extract its positive juices to remain healthy and energetic.
Triglycerides are derived from glycerol and fatty acids. They vary among themselves depending on the oil source. Triglycerides are the main constituents of vegetable oil and animal fats. In humans, triglycerides are a mechanism for storing unused calories, and their presence in blood corresponds with the intake of starchy and other high carbohydrate foods.
Triglycerides contain three fatty acid chains where the carbon atoms vary helping us distinguish three categories – long chain, medium chain and shorter chains.
What Are Medium Chain Triglycerides
Medium Chain Triglycerides are fatty acids that contain 6 to 10 carbon atoms between them and because of their shorter chain, they are metabolized differently. One chief characteristic of Medium Chain Triglycerides is that they are more water soluble, hence they are disintegrated more quickly and bile is not required to perform the breakdown. This characteristic also makes Medium Chain Triglycerides resemble carbohydrates more than fats.
Having the advantage of being able to penetrate to the blood stream faster, Medium Chain Triglycerides are directly transported to the liver as an immediate source of energy. Medium Chain Triglycerides are not difficult to come across. They are found naturally as well as manufactured commercially. Milk, palm oil, coconut oil are some of the well known sources for Medium Chain Triglycerides.
Commercially MCTs are available as liquid or capsules but they don’t hold up well to cooking, because high temperatures oxidizes them and breaks them down, but they can be consumed as a supplement.
If you are still scratching your head about how you can benefit from fats, this is exactly what you need to read.
Importance of Medium Chain Triglycerides:
- Acts as a booster for cellular recovery if affected by surgery.
- Enhances and stabilizes mental clarity.
- High source of energy for activities that require high physical performance such as sports. Other than providing energy at the ready, Medium Chains Triglycerides do not stimulate insulin leaving you at peace as far as gaining weight is concerned.
- Highly recommended for people who are determined to lose weight as Medium Chain Triglycerides enhances thermogenesis, the process by which our body produces heat at the cost of burning our fats.
- Medium Chain Triglycerides are also known to lower blood sugar upto a certain level, proving to be beneficial to dibetics.
- Medium Chain Triglycerides are known to be huge supporters of cardiovascular health.
Watch a video of experts discussing the benefits of Medium Chain Triglycerides for absorption:
Disadvantages of Medium Chain Triglycerides:
- Immune system of children may not always readily accept Medium Chain Triglycerides.
- Introduction of Medium Chain Triglycerides to the diet must be slow and progressive. Sudden excess of MCTs in diet may cause severe stomach ache.
- Not advisable if there is a history of liver problem.
With all being said and done, ‘early to bed and early to rise’ may not be the only thing to make a man healthy, wealthy and wise. Though a few demerits about Medium Chain Triglycerides have been listed above, there is no doubt that the advantages thrash the disadvantages by a huge margin. So the next time you want to recover fast from a surgery or you are on the hunt for near instant energy, do not look too far away from your refrigerators my friends.
- medium chain triglycerides benefits
- medium chain triglycerides side effects
- Sources of Medium Chain Triglycerides
- medium chain triglycerides sources
- Foods Containing Medium Chain Triglycerides
- medium-chain triglycerides sources
- medium chain triglyceride foods
- Foods High in Medium Chain Triglycerides
- benefits of medium chain triglycerides
- medium chain triglyceride in whole foods